Hacking iSync for the ePhone™
Ever since I got the ePhoneâ„¢ (the Motorola A1000) I’ve been lamenting the fact that it isn’t supported by OS X and iSync. I’d used a pretty well known hack to get it working under 10.3, but with the arrival of Tiger (OS 10.4) and iSync 2.0 things completely changed and the old hack didn’t work anymore (basically because the files that you were suppose to modify aren’t there anymore!). So i did some hunting about and worked out how to get it working again!
If you’re a Mac user, or even just curious, then hit the ‘read more’ button to find out how!
You have to edit the MetaClasses.plist file, found:
Applications > iSync.app > Contents > PlugIns > ApplePhoneConduit.syncdevice > Contents > PlugIns > PhoneModelsSync.phoneplugin > Contents > Resources > MetaClasses.plist
Yeah, you’ve got to take a packed lunch, it’s a fair hike!
Anyway once there you have to edit the entry for the sony-ericsson p900 so that it looks like this:
[b](the “Motorola CE, Copyright” string needs to be one line – I broke it here for the sake of page formatting)[/b]
Yeah, I even made a sexy elroy-enhanced A1000 which (if anyone wants… and you KNOW you do) you can grab from here – just drop it in the same directory where the MetaClasses.plist is found.
From that point it should just be a matter of firing iSync and going through the motions of adding the phone and such.. make sure your girlfriend/wife/both doesn’t see that icon though.. or else it’s all over.